Tuesday 15 January 2013

Here We Go Again...


http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-News-13-20258-Qadri-gives-11am-deadline-to-dissolve-govts-parliament


The latest: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/pakistan/9802987/Democracy-faces-crucial-24-hours-in-Pakistan.html


There's never a dull moment in this country, now is there?

Just as soon as we loosened our shirts and dared to breathe a relieved breath after the drama of yesterday, what do we have here? A new political crisis. Yippee.

I suppose I should be glad. Besides the definite plus-point that my History class was oh-so-sadly interrupted by my teacher's frantic calls to her husband, inquiring, "Halaat kya hain??", we're definitely in need of some serious change. And I'm not talking about a whole neat-cornered-public-relations-smoothing-out-affair and making promises we know you'll never keep. No, I'm talking about the whole deal. With a cherry on top.
We've feasted on a nice long meal of "democracy" force-fed to us by the silver spoon that is the government and needless to say, the very stench is now making our stomachs churn.

The entire country has been shaken up to it's core. The tension is tangible in the air, just like it was a few days ago during the Quetta sit-in. At that point, might I remind you where our leader was?

Arranging meetings with the military? Speaking to the press? Why ever would you think that?

No, the President had jetted off for some quality-me time in the consumer capital of the world, Dubai.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-01-12/pakistan/30619185_1_memo-issue-pakistani-american-businessman-dubai

I won't say much, just this:

It's been proved that rats are always the first to leave a sinking ship..

Not that our country is a sinking ship. Not yet anyway. It's a beautiful vessel, filled to the brim with talented, capable individuals and stores of treasure locked away in it's dark cellars. Only it's commandeered by the likes of Captain Hook and Co, who haven't been able to patch up the holes in it's bottom, letting water gush in while they collect the bounty and make for the nearest lifeboat.

Now, I don't mean to sound so judgmental. It's a tough, dirty job sitting up there in the top seat and delegating. I mean, I've watched 24, I know about tough decision-making. Any one person can't just waltz in and wave a magic wand to send an entire rusty system operating for sixty years, into a puff of smoke and have it come out working perfectly.

It takes time, effort and a committed worker to fix what seems like it's beyond repair.

We've lent the sails of our ship to one set of seamen for long enough, and we've seen the waters we've been led into. I think it's time for another experiment...







No comments:

Post a Comment